Making 3D models out of paper

Making 3D models out of paper 


I've always wanted to make some 3D models out of paper. However, the models I wanted to make weren't easy to draw, cut, and stick. So, I asked my father, and he said, ``Well, we already have the tools, don't we. Then, I realised that he was talking about our Cricut machine. So, I gathered all the stuff that I needed, and then I got to work. 

I took the laptop and started searching for low-poly 3d models on Google. But then I remembered the trick my father showed me to make any round 3D model, to make it low-poly. I downloaded a .STL file of a head and opened it in Blender and downloaded it. After that, I opened the low-poly 3d head in Pepakura software and then made it 2D using the unfold tool. So, by doing that, I got the unfolded 2D model on an A4 sheet. 

Then, I took the PDF and imported it into the Inkscape software. I traced its bitmap and then uploaded it to the Cricut Design Space software. Then, the rest was all easy. I cut the 2D design using the machine, and then simply folded it and glued the parts separately and then all of them together to make a whole 3D, real-life-sized model out of paper. So, do you want to know how it's made exactly, with steps? Well, I've got you.

Materials:
1. Paper
2. Glue

Tools/software:
1. Blender
2. Inkscape
3. Pepakura
4. Cricut Design Space
5. Laptop
6. Cricut machine

Steps 
1. Download the .stl file of a 3D model of your choice. 

2. Open or download the Blender software. And then import the file to Blender. Select the file and then go to the Modifiers tab, add the Decimate modifier and change the ratio to at least 0.001. This will make it low-poly. Download this file as a .stl file.

3. Open the Pepakura software and open the file. Click on every prompted option and then change its dimensions to your liking. Then, you'll see the unfold option. Unfold the model to get a perfect 2D template of your model. 

Things to remember while unfolding the model:
 1) Sometimes the models are too complex to unfold. So don't worry. Go to Blender again and then make it more low-poly. 

 2) Some pieces of your model overlap with each other. If this happens, then simply adjust the pieces to the paper size.
 
 3) Sometimes your model might be large. Don't forget that these pieces won't fit on 1 A4 sheet of paper.

 4) To save the file, you'd have to purchase a license. But there are shortcuts.
     In the file menu, you'll see the print to PDF option. Click on that so that you'll get the PDF. 

4. After saving the PDF, there are two ways to bring the design template to paper. 
    The first method is that you can directly print the template using any ink printer, and the second method is that you can use the Cricut Machine.

5. If you don't have a Cricut machine, then you can directly print the template on paper and then cut the outlines, fold the dotted lines and then stick the flaps to their corresponding sides.

6. But, if you have a Cricut machine and want to save efforts, then follow the following steps:
 
1) Open your PDF in Inkscape and use the trace bitmap tool. After that, you'll get an outline of your template. Delete the original images. Export the file as .svg or .png. 
2) Then open the file in Cricut Design Space and then cut the template on medium cardstock paper and colour of your choice.
3) After cutting it, use glue to join/glue/stick the flaps to their corresponding sides. 


These are the models I've made so far:
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Home Automation Project Using Xiao board and Wi-Fi

Making a Neon LED Sign Board

Creating a Home Automation Project Using MIT App Inventor